Home contents insurance

My Home Contents Insurance logo

Have you ever considered what you would do if your home contents and personal possessions were damaged during a flood?

Even though you do not own your home, you still need to protect your possessions.

As your landlord, we areresponsible for rectifying any structural damage caused to your home following an incident such as a leak from a water pipe in your home or from adjoining property, or a fire. But we are not responsible for replacing your personal possessions.

Contents insurance could help you cover some of the cost of replacing your personal possessions.

We've teamed up with the National Housing Federation and My Home Contents Insurance Scheme to offer a home contents insurance policy that is specifically designed for tenants in social housing.

This policy differs from other contents insurance products, for example offering:

  • Flexible regular premium payments by cash at any pay zone outlet, direct debit, cheque, postal order, debit or credit card
  • No excesses – you don’t have to pay the first part of any claim.
  • Cover on a new for old basis with no deduction for wear and tear – except in respect of linen and clothing.
  • Cover in £1000 bands, starting at £6,000 for tenants aged 60 and over and from £9,000 for all other tenants.  The maximum sum insured available is £35,000.

Cover includes theft, fire, storm, water damage, flood and accidental damage to items such as hobs, sanitary ware such as toilets and washbasins as well as fixed glass in furniture, doors and windows. More information is available via the link below or alternatively from your local housing office, or by calling0345 450 7288 (calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes).

Find out more about the My Home Contents Insurance policy

Alternatively you can choose to be covered with any company you wish and there are plenty of comparison websites available that can help you find a suitable contents insurance provider.

Further advice is also available from the impartial Money Advice Service at https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/do-you-need-contents-insurance.

The National Housing Federation My Home Contents Insurance Scheme is a product name arranged and administered on behalf of the National Housing Federation by Thistle Tenant Risks. A trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Lloyd's Broker.
Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. A JLT Group Company.
Registered Office: The St Botolph Building, 138 Houndsditch, London, EC3A 7AW. Registered in England No 00338645. VAT No. 244 2321 96.
The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Limited.